Thursday, October 16, 2008

A wishlist for a future not here

Few questions remain for me now that I’ve finished reading Diamond Age. I must say this world of feeds and or seeds seems like a world I would enjoy living in. Two different career paths are presented both extremely too my liking, those being Racting and Nanotech engineering.

As a Ractor I would seek roles that would allow a lot of improvising, though I also enjoy the structure of script and stage timing. I have most my life slipped in and out of several accents. I pick up accents simply being around them quite subconsciously. There have been times when while playing video games with friends we would take roles and voice act the game often causing laughter but always having fun. With my talent for accent, my range of funny and serious voices, and my ability to get into a role make Racting a desirable job.

Nanotech engineering holds an even greater place of interest for me. The ability to from the atomic level create an object, its power source, its function, its shape, and its weight is an incredible ability. I have thought up several inventions in my 22 years that would make my life easier or even more enjoyable but in most cases the market for these items is very small and specialized. Without any materials I could use to make these items I have always gone without. Nanotech would change that I could create something if only the materials from scratch and build to my every whim.

An observation of interest:
The Drummers seem to me to not have a true free will as their minds are clouded and supplemented. Even so I can see how some would choose such a life for themselves. There have been people throughout our planets history who live a life a prisoner some addictive substance or another. These people with their minds supplemented into the hive of the Drummers could easily cold turkey their addiction and live a life of bliss without worry or needs. I believe though these drummers are being taken advantage of as they do not all chose this way they merely come into contact with the nanosites and become Drummers.

1 comment:

Dan Jorquera said...

Ha, nanotech engineering would be pretty cool. I'm sure, in the future, it will become a more popular job. Computer processor manufacturers are already setting them up atom by atom to get them just small enough.